While it’s a little late to be offering you Christmas gift giving ideas, I thought I’d give a run down of the handmade gifts we made and gave this holiday season. These are items you could make for yourself or give to loved ones any time of year.
First up are these hookboards. Click the link to see the complete tutorial!
Reclaimed wood monogrammed hookboards
- 12″ x 12″ x 1/2″ piece of wood
- Polyurethane and small paint brush
- Two hooks with screws
- Screwdriver or drill
- Printer and ink
- Wax paper
- Select or cut your piece of wood to size, and sand it to ensure the wood’s smooth on the front and the edges.
- Brush the polyurethane on the front and edges. Careful, a little goes a long way! Make sure the poly is dry before proceeding.
- Use a computer application to design an image/letter to transfer onto your board. I used Google drawing. Then print your design on to the wax paper. Make sure to print it as a mirror image.
- Quickly position the wax paper onto the wood, ink side down, and press straight down, being careful not to move the paper. Peel back the wax paper and allow the ink to dry.
- Once the ink is dry, it’s a good idea to put another layer of polyurethane on to seal the ink.
- Decide the best position for the hooks and attach them with screws. Most packs of hooks come with the screws needed.
- Your hookboard is done!
What a simple and useful gift to give to a friend or to yourself! Did you give homemade gifts this Christmas? I’d love to hear about it! Leave me a comment below 🙂